Colour Switcher:

Font Resizer:

‘A home for our family’

Alise moved into her new home with her partner and young son in May and it already feels like home.

They were looking to buy outright, when through a third party property portal they stumbled upon NCHA’s shared ownership properties in Alfreton, Derbyshire. They realised that with the part rent, part buy scheme they’d be able to get more for their money.

The couple had always rented: “We wanted to buy a home for our family,” Alise explains. “Our landlord decided to sell our old home, so we definitely had a gentle push towards shared ownership!”

They paid a 15% deposit for a 25% share on their new home and pay rent on the remainder 75% to NCHA.

“The process of buying was easy and we had no problems finding a mortgage.”

The couple viewed the show home three or four times before deciding which plot they wanted: “I was able to choose my new home based on the kitchen and the parking spaces.

“NCHA were so helpful – they let us visit lots and get the kitchen I’d fallen in love with. They answered all of our questions and helped us sort it all out quick, before we were evicted from our rental home!”

Since moving in Alise and her partner have had lots of fun decorating their new home. They’ve put their own stamp on the place, using bright colours and patterned wall paper; a mural of purple flowers travels up the stairwell.

“This feels like our home. No one has lived here before; it’s ours. We feel safe; it’s a quiet road and safe for the kids to play out.”

NCHA allows shared owners to ‘staircase’, increasing the percentage of the property they own and Alise fully intends to take advantage of this: “We hope one day to increase our ownership to 100%.

“If people can’t afford to buy outright, I would definitely recommend they look at shared ownership. It’s worked so well for us.

“It’s just as if you’ve brought the whole house, but you get more time. It’s an easier option, and you have the same security as an outright sale. I’d recommend shared ownership to anyone.”

NCHA has properties available for shared ownership across the East Midlands. Take a look at what's available